Saturday, November 23, 2013

"Video of the Week" - Lost Wax Casting - by Florida Fine Art Blog



Video of the Week
Lost Wax Casting

Earlier this week I posted an article about the sculpture "La Florida" give as an award for the Florida Artist Hall of Fame.  The bronze sculpture is made using the lost wax casting method. Years ago I was lucky enough to watch this bronze sculpture process at the Foundry of Art Massimo del Chiaroin in Pietrasanta, Italy. Pietrasanta is one of the sculpture capitals of the world and I was there visiting Nilda Comas while she was at her studio working.  The foundry uses the same process and even some of the same materials as in ancient times.  Once I observed the process and the skilled craftsmen I have never looked at sculpture the same way again. GL

Foundry of Art Massimo del Chiaroin website
Nilda Comas Bronze Sculpture

No comments: