Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Gator in the Bay: Giant Art Invades Miami - posted by Florida Fine Art Blog



Gator in the Bay: Giant Art Invades Miami
Miami New Times
By Carlos Suarez De Jesus

As the story goes, a teenager visiting a Florida tourist trap bought a baby alligator and flushed it down the toilet. Months later, it emerged from the sewers, as big as a school bus, to stalk unsuspecting humans.

Well, Lloyd Goradesky's gargantuan Gator in the Bay was never dropped into the john, but the football-field-length floating reptile is set to prowl the waters off the Miami Yacht Club on Watson Island when Art Basel in Miami Beach rips into town December 5 through 8.

It's one of the first public art projects announced for this year's monster art fair and also one of the strangest — just the kind of thing to augment the Magic City's reputation as a mecca for artistic lunacy.

"I've been photographing wildlife in the Everglades for more than two decades," Goradesky says. "When someone approached me a few years back and offered me the barge to use during Basel, that was how this project got its start."

The floating gator is intended to raise awareness of the fragile nature of the Florida Everglades and reflect the cooperation between industry and the local environment. Goradesky explains he chose the iconic reptile for his Basel opus because the creature is a barometer of our ecological health.

Article found here

Art Basel is just around the corner and I will be posting many more articles in the coming weeks.  Unfortunately I will not be able to attend this year, first time I will miss the event since it all started with Art Miami back in the early 90's. I will still post my "Glenn's Guide to Art Basel 2013" but this time it will be a list of where I wished I could go.  Someone please take pictures for me!  GL

 

No comments: