Thursday, July 28, 2011

Marcel Duchamp -- Happy Birthday -- by Florida Fine Art Blog

Marcel Duchamp
28 July 1887 – 2 October 1968

The father of the “readymade”, Duchamp’s work still challenges us to see the truth of art. Duchamp’s influence is so total that at this point walking through any modern art fair you will see, ready-mades, Kinetic works, conceptual pieces; all movements and ideas that Duchamp shepherded into the art world. If there is just one artist to study, just one biography that will fascinate, frustrate and inspire, I would suggest Duchamp. His life was an intellectual journey for truth.



My love of chess is thanks to Marcel Duchamp. By 1918 or so Duchamp had for the most part moved away from art and concentrated on studying chess. That intrigued me and prompted me to purchase my first book on chess.  Chess has been something I have kept up with and always have a few games ongoing.


I have embedded a YouTube of archival footage of Marcel Duchamp describing his work. If you have the time, watch the other videos that are suggested when the video finishes. Also I have linked to a previous blog post I did with wonderful links to websites devoted to Marcel Duchamp. Enjoy!  GL




Blog link to Marcel Duchamp

No comments: