Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Marcus Jasen Back in New York City - posted by Florida Fine Art Blog

Marcus Jansen on Prince Street & Broadway, Soho, New York

Marcus Jansen Back in New York City
Friday Art Walk, August 2. 2013
6:00pm – 10:00pm.

UNIT A is pleased to present rare unseen to the public works from 1997 - 2002

Marcus Jansen just returned back from his hometown New York City and he visited his old street corner on Prince Street & Broadway where he sold these same type of works on display August 2. 2013, sixteen years ago. One of his first works in his signature style that gave him International recognition over the last sixteen years was Harlem Deli, 30x40" on board, a work that sold to Hollywood Actor John Ortiz in 1999 from the streets of New York while Ortiz was shooting his latest Movie with artist and Director Julian Schnabel.

Most of Jansen's works back then were executed on cardboard because he did not have the money to buy canvas. Most also sold the same year. One work, Bookstand 30x40", from 1997 recently surfaced from a collector online who approached the studios asking for a current value.

Jansen is scheduled to have works at Phillips de Pury International Auctions in Geneva and Moscow in 2014.

Artist website found here 
My interview with Marcus here

Great to see Marcus doing so well. And this showing is a rare opportunity to see the artists early work. 

Marcus is one of the many artists I kick myself for not purchasing his work early for my own collection. Its hard to be a dealer and a collector at the same time.
There are acually many artists work I sold over the years but saved no paintings  for myself.  Missing the chance to afford a piece for my own collection. I even have a list of paintings I have sold called "the ones that got away", meaning in someway I regret selling them at all.  But as a dealer how do you keep a piece that you can flip quickly for a profit?  I comfort myself that the paintings are in a good home and are being appreciated. GL

 
  

No comments: